Thursday, December 12, 2013

If you loose it, go back to whatever point you need to get it back

You don't know how many times I've said that to camp kids. (For those of you who don't know... I spent 5 summers as assistant director or director of horsemanship at two different summer camps. Now I only go down for a week or two to help out and do training).

Here's a typical scenario. I have a bunch of 13 year old girls just dying to canter. They've developed some pretty good skills at the walk trot so they come for a one on one canter lesson with me. I have them work one on one because it lets me know if they are as good as they think or if their horse has simple been on auto pilot following his buddy.

Before I let them canter I run them thought their paces at a walk and trot. Inevitably I find one or two who's skills start to fall apart. Most commonly they can't steer their horse at a trot. The horse is weaving around the arena like a dunk driver and the kid just desperately wants to canter and hopes I don't notice that their horse is no longer on the rail as I requested.

The rider is very disappointed that I insist that they perfect their steering before they try the canter. In the meantime I put on a kind face and don't say what I'm thinking “ Why on earth would I let you canter when you can't steer your horse at a trot, Yah, that's a great idea!”

Most of us are pretty quick to stop or take it down a notch if we loose major control, like steering. But how about if we loose our horses attention or cooperation? Hmmmmm....................

Here's a little tale from last winter. One that served as a good reminder to me.

Bunny and I set out on a training ride on a cold day. Since I have 101 things going on in my life at once here was my plan, I'm going to ride 10 ½ miles in 1 hour and 20 minutes or less, GO.

Now my horse was uncharacteristically full of it. She is normally wants nothing more than to please me. At that point of should have taken a few more minutes to warm up and done whatever it took to get her in the right frame of mind, most likely some good dressage work would have done the trick. But I didn't have time for that.

I was riding on the graveled shoulder of a country road, where I do most of my riding since that's what I have access too. I had picked up a trot and noticed that when I asked Bunny for a nice easy 8mph trot she wanted to give me a 15mph freight train trot. Should have kept working till I had her attention but, well I had a schedule to keep and miles to go.

A couple minutes later a car passed us and Bunny tried to race the car (normally she has perfect manners around traffic). Now that should have been the wake up call I needed but after all I was able to HAUL her back to a somewhat reasonable pace so on we went.

This scene repeated itself again and on the third time she bucked and hit the ground trying to take off as fast as she could. This time it took me about five strides to stop her, five VERY BIG STRIDES.

First I was really indignant that my normally nice people pleasing horse would behave so badly. I finally realized that if I wanted to survive this ride I needed to slow down and do whatever it took to get her in the right frame of mind. I don't want to settle for being able to physically haul her back, I want her to say, “No problem” like she normally does and respond willingly.

I realized later that it would have never gotten to the bucking stage if I would have dealt with the attitude right off. Bunny tested the waters, got away with it so tested a little more. I let her because I desperately wanted to keep going. I know if you are honest with yourself you will admit that you've fallen into this trap at times too.

Why do I care so much that my horse is willing and responsive? For a lot of reasons. First off it's not much fun to ride a horse that's not willing and responsive. I think the most important reason, however, is that if you ride long enough you will eventually find yourself in a tough spot. You will need your horse to do what you ask, quickly and quietly and if you haven't established that before... well good luck.

When we have those tough days or moments we are far better off taking a minute or an hour to deal with it then and there and not let it escalate to crazy.

I had a couple times this ride season where Bunny was a little full of herself and not wanting to listen to me about what speed we were going to go. Once I fought her for miles, not the best plan. The next ride I took a few minutes on the trail to get her attention, when she pulled out the must pass everything in site attitude, and we had a much more enjoyable time. She still questioned me a few times but it was nothing like before.

Don't let your goals blind you to the bigger picture. Your horses training is important. If you loose their attention and cooperation, take the time to do what you need to get it back. You'll be much better off for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment