Wednesday, May 14, 2014

We are going for it – 80 miles here we come!

After HOTR Bunny got a few weeks off and then we eased back into work. Then three weeks after the ride we did a great hill conditioning ride. It's a great loop that climbs for 6 miles and then you come back down for 5 miles. And I'm not kidding that it climbs. There may be two spots that are flat for 100 yards but that's it. I figured this would be a great conditioning ride and let me know how she was doing. After all we'll see a hill or two at Mt. Adams.

She was awesome! We steadily climbed at a pace of almost 9mph. Her heart rate stayed in the 130 – 140 except for the very top of the steepest hill. She was eager to go and we had a great time.

The rest of that week we did two snappy rides around here, each one she was faster with a lower heart rate.

Then two weeks out from Mt. Adams we did a 28 mile depletion ride. We made great time and had a great ride. We did this one particular stretch of road several times, over the course of our ride. It's a mile long stretch that I try to make great time on and clock myself. The last time over it she was flying (15 mph trot) and her heart rate was 120. A month ago on that same stretch her heart rate was 140 doing about 12mph. I love seeing solid proof of progress. It makes me smile.

So she's fit and working great, we are going to go for it. We are going to try an 80 mile ride at Mt. Adams. I'd thought about waiting till later in the season, I tend to be cautious in case you haven't figured that out yet, but it just didn't work out, if I waited I'd have to wait longer than I want.

My only concern about Mt. Adams is that it's a mountain ride and will be a harder 80 miles than say the ride we had to pull from at Jubilee last fall. But her fitness this season is coming right along, that's a nice ride and it looks like the weather will be good. All factors in our favor.

So I think it's time. Time to see how we both feel about the longer distances. I plan to start in the back, nice and sane, and keep a nice steady pace throughout the day (7-8 mph) take it easy in the rough places. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers and we'll keep you posted!

Electrolytes that I prepared for our ride (did that this morning).
In case you are curious. I electrolyte every hour (approximately) a light dose if we are on the trail and a bigger one in camp, when she's eating more and I have time to rinse out her mouth better. I have 7 trail syringes and 5 hold syringes (yes, I forgot one of my hold ones in the picture).
Here's my secret recipe (amount changes due to work and weather predictions).
Trail: 1/3 oz of Pureform Electrolyte Concentrate
Hold: ¾ oz of Pureform Electrolyte Concentrate
Mixed in a special mixture of honey yogert, ground flax seed and Aloe Vera.

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you two the best weekend and can't wait to here how you and Bunny do

    ReplyDelete