Friday, June 12, 2015

Sunriver 100 - In case you want to know my plan

So it's no secret that I'm a planner.

These days I'm thinking through Sunriver and making my plan. Plans help me to think through how things will work, what I will need and give me a goal to work for. I'm always happy to slow down if I feel my horse needs it but today I also got a good reminder that there may be times where I discover I can go a bit faster than I thought. If you've ridden with me on rides you know I often spend a lot of time rating my horses speed. I'm concerned about going to fast. That's good but I think there will come a day when speeding up a bit will be just fine. I need to keep an open mind to that, pay attention to my horse and ride smart, vet check to vet check.

So what's my plan for Sunriver? Well if you want to know I'll tell you.

A while ago, I started writing out a ride plan. I write down time estimates for each loop. If the hold is in camp there is a list of what I need accomplished during my hold, that way my mom knows how she can help me or remind me of things.

I know some about this ride since I've ridden the 50 twice. I have asked questions about the part of the trail I haven't seen. I know we will have two out check locations. I will have two holds at one and one hold at the other. I've started a list of what to send to each out check location. Yes, I like to plan.

I've thought through how I think I can ride it. If everything goes well I would love to be headed out on my last loop (20 miles) at 7pm. That would mean that I would be able to ride a good portion of that in the daylight, including the few rough parts at the front. To accomplish that I don't have to ride at a fast speed, just our good cruising speed averaging 7-8 miles an hour and not dilly dally or loose any unnecessary time at the holds.

So as I ride, that's what I'm going to be reminding myself of, last loop 7pm!

Again, no problem slowing down if I think Bunny needs it. I struggle on the other end though. There are times where I think we could make better time in a section but then I worry, what if I am wasting energy she might need later? My husband says I worry to much.

So here's my plan. I'll do my best and let you know how it goes!

Sunriver 100 Ride time goal – 14 to 15 hours


1. 18 mile loop - time estimate 2:15 – 2:25 (in by 7:25)
15 minute hold at the river


2. 12 mile loop - time estimate 1:45 (in by 9:25)

45 minute hold

Have waiting at vet check

Rump rug if still chilly.

Bucket and sponge if it ends up being hot.

Hay if there isn't any at the vet check.


Ready at camp for after we vet

Refill Camelpak and exchange used electrolytes for 2 new tubes, put in 2 gel packet for me

Electrolyte Bunny

Snack for me

Clean out Bunny's boots



3. 18 mile loop - time estimate 2:15 – 2:25 (in by 12:35)

45 minute hold at the river


4. 14 mile loop - time estimate 1:50 – 2:00 (in by 3:20)
30 minute hold at VC 2


5. 16 mile loop - time estimate 2:10 – 2:20 (in by 6:10)

45 minute hold

Have waiting at vet check

Rump rug if still chilly.

Bucket and sponge if it ends up being hot.

Hay if there isn't any at the vet check.

Ready at camp for after we vet

Refill Camelpak and exchange used electrolytes for 3 new tubes, put in 3 gel packet for me

Electrolyte Bunny

Snack for me

Clean out Bunny's boots

Change my socks



6. 20 mile loop - time estimate 3 + hours

Done!!!

Have waiting at vet check

Cooler for Bunny

Bucket and sponge to clean her up a bit.

Hay if there isn't any at the vet check.


Ready at camp for after we vet

Electrolyte Bunny

Ice boots for Bunny



I'm trying to keep track of Bunny's body condition over the season.
Here she is the beginning of June. I'm curios to see how she'll look the beginning of July. 

2 comments:

  1. Is she barefoot/booted now? Or are you cleaning out interference boots?

    You've ridden a shorter distance here so you probably already know, but just in case: the first leg of Sunriver is a slow, subtle downhill, and the ride is famous for front-end lameness pulls at the first vet check. Stay balanced and be careful! And have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interference boots.
      I've never had her interfere but a few years ago she ended up with a bump on the inside of her left front cannon bone. Her local vet was sure that she did it by whacking herself somehow and that having that bump made it more likly that she would whack that spot again and the next time it might cause a problem. She suggested using interference boots on her. Later I got a chance to chat with Dr. Foss about it too. He said the same thing.

      Delete